I don’t need to tell you that storage space is limited in apartments, but what I might need to tell you is this: Get your shit together. Literally and figuratively. Don’t leave that stuff strewn all over your apartment because you don’t know where to put it, and don’t shove it all away in an ugly plastic tote. There is a way to store your stuff without sacrificing style! Here are five of my favorite stylish storage picks (all under $50, because I’m broke).
1. Leather Storage Ottoman, Amazon.com, $44: Ottomans work great for resting your feet, holding magazines and coffee table books, and using as spare seating. Getting an option with hidden storage is a great way to store old books, blankets, Snuggies, whatever.
2. Decorative Bins, Target.com, $24: Organize your hair products, socks, Tupperware, and more with these cute baskets. I know decorating your closet seems a little bit intense, but didn’t your mother always tell you how important it is to be beautiful on the outside and the inside?
3. Under Bed Storage, WalMart.com, $16.97: Start keeping things under your bed. Seriously, it’s one of the most under utilized spaces. Even if nobody looks underneath your bed (which they might, who knows!) you will sleep well knowing your out of season shoes are sitting pretty.
4. Clothes Hamper, Target.com, $24.99: Unfortunately, it’s pretty hard to hide your clothes hamper in under 900 square feet. It probably won’t fit in your closet, and maybe not even in your bathroom. If you’re stuck displaying your dirty clothes in your bedroom (or worse, your hallway) at least make sure it’s pretty, and a lid is a must. Nobody wants to see your dirty underwear.
5. Toilet Paper Canister, Amazon.com, $8: Do you know why only grandmothers are smart enough to use toilet paper canisters? Because it takes most people decades to realize you should a) store toilet paper within close reach, and b) it looks tacky stacked on the back of your toilet. Get a sleek, affordable canister to sit by your throne and look wise beyond your years.